Stumphouse Tunnel Park
The Stumphouse Mountain Tunnel was started in 1852 as part of an ambitious engineering scheme to link South Carolina's railway system to railroads in the Midwest. The tunnel was to be 5,863 feet long---the longest in the U.S.---but after 6 years, only 4,363 feet were completed. The Civil War and lack of money brought work to a halt, and, despite attempts in 1875, 1900, and 1940 to revive its construction, the tunnel was never completed. In 1951, Clemson A&M College bought the tunnel and used it to successfully cure the South's first blue cheese. The tunnel's environment was later duplicated at Clemson, and the cheese making was moved there.
Welcome to the DiscoverE community!
Activity Type:Trips and Destinations
Grade:K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
Fun Fact:What's the origin of Stumphouse? Some say bootleggers hid their liquor in a stump. Others say a settler family built a roof over a huge stump and lived in it. Still others say the Indian maiden Issaqueena, after warning the nearby fort of a pending attack, escaped by pretending to leap over the waterfalls but really hid in a stump beneath them.