White Pass & Yukon Route
The White Pass Railroad was built in 1898-1900 to connect the coastal port community of Skagway to the Klondike gold fields by Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory. The railroad served first as a passenger train and supply line for the gold mines and later as a freight carrier for nearby lead and zinc mines. The railway closed in 1982, with the closure of the Yukon mines. The growth of tourism during the 1980s led to the reopening of the railroad, which now provides passenger service on the first 67 miles of the original 110-mile line. In 1994, the narrow-gauge railroad was designated as an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.
Please provide the following:
Activity Type:Trips and Destinations
Grade:K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
Fun Fact:The railroad is one of the steepest in North America, climbing 2,865 feet in just 20 miles. There are 55 train cars in use, half dating from the early 1900s and half built to vintage specifications.