GIRLS NIGHT OUT—An Introduction
Show the girls in your community what careers in engineering look like by hosting a Girls Night Out event as part of your Girl Day programming. Anchored by a screening of Dream Big—the world’s first engineering film for the BIG screen—girls will meet three amazing female engineers and learn how engineers are making the world a better place.
Dream Big is available in multiple formats from Blu Ray/DVD to IMAX to fit the needs of your event. See the “Getting the Film” section below for more information.
A Girls Night Out event can be planned around three core elements:
- Use the film as an introduction, and design an event that can engage girls of all ages.
- Invite female engineers and those working in the field to speak at your event. Include engineering undergraduates who can help bridge the age gap between the girls and the working engineers.
- Add hands-on engineering activities. It’s a great way to get the girls talking and working in teams. Use your own or choose from DiscoverE’s library of 125 activities.
Everyone invited will learn and have fun, and most importantly, girls may be inspired to consider a career in engineering!
Girls Night Out can be scheduled anytime of day—don’t let the title limit your imagination. The sample agenda below assumes a running time of approximately 2.5 hours and that you are hosting the event in a theater. Feel free to customize the format and location:
Welcome in Theatre Lobby (5 minutes)
Dream Big Film Screening (1 hour, 10 minutes)
- Women Engineers Introduce Film (10m)
- View Film (45m)
- Q&A with Women Engineers in Theatre (15m)
Reception with Light Refreshments (20–30 minutes)
- Meet Women Engineers and Students Attending
Hands-On Activities (30–40 minutes)
- Instructions for Next Activity
- Girls and Mentors Participate in Hands-on Challenges and Conversation about Engineering
Closing Activity / Remarks (15 minutes)
Download the Planning Guide for more information and tips on creating a successful event.
- Ideally, a museum near you is playing the Dream Big film and you can work with them to host your event on the BIG screen. Find out where the film is currently playing here.
- If your local museum isn’t playing the film, other options are:
- Small museums or science centers, libraries, school auditoriums, large conference rooms, or the jumbo screen in a sports/entertainment arena.
- You can also consider collaborating with a commercial digital or IMAX theater, or your local historic theater.
Getting the Film
A limited supply of free Blu-Ray discs is available. Please note this discs will be on loan to you and must be returned. Digital and IMAX copies are also available for a fee. Complete this application to request either a Blu-Ray, Digital or IMAX version. Applications must be received by January 19, 2018 to allow enough time for review and approval for events taking place on and around Girl Day (February 22nd).
If you have any questions or would like an introduction to a museum already playing Dream Big, please contact the Girl Day Program Manager.