Agriculture & Biosystems
As a mechanical engineer, you might develop a bike lock or an aircraft carrier, a child’s toy or a hybrid car engine, a wheelchair or a sailboat—in other words, just about anything you can think of that involves a mechanical process, whether it’s a cool, cutting-edge product or a life-saving medical device. Mechanical engineers are often referred to as the general practitioners of the engineering profession, since they work in nearly every area of technology, from aerospace and automotive to computers and biotechnology.
Number of jobs in 2020
Expected job growth over next 10 years
Jobs and education
- Design “smart” toys for kids
- Develop cars that are more fuel efficient
- Produce hypoallergenic air conditioning for hospital operating rooms
- Create prosthetic hands that allow a person to type and write
- Model the bending and twisting displayed by solar panels on a space telescope
- Set up equipment and instruments for an automobile crash test.
- Test and supervise modifications to a manufacturing process so that a produce can be made better.