Agriculture & Biosystems
Mining & Metallurgical
Biomedical Engineering Overview1
Number of jobs in 2020
Expected job growth in next 10 years
Jobs and education
- Grow tissues that help repair damage from heart attacks
- Develop new drug delivery methods and nano implants that target specific areas and don’t cause debilitating side effects.
- Design equipment that helps patients regain the ability to walk or create virtual reality systems that aid in limb mobility.
- Go on to pursue a medical degree in order to become a physician or surgeon.
- Repair and maintain a variety of medical devices, including heart monitors, respiratory therapy devices, defibrillators, and medical imaging equipment.
- Operate and maintain the imaging machines, take the pictures, and verify that all safety protocols are being followed for both the patient and the medical staff.
- Pursue medical sales or become an equipment trainer for doctors and nurses.