Agriculture & Biosystems
Mining & Metallurgical
Discover Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering Overview1
Number of jobs in 2020
Job growth over next 10 years
Jobs and education
- Ensure safe drinking water by managing a community’s water supply
- Develop an art museum that provides state-of-the-art protection for paintings
- Cut down on airport delays by designing a better runway system
- Design the structure of one of the world’s tallest skyscrapers
- Build cheap, sturdy shelters for victims of hurricanes and flooding
- Land surveyors measure land in order to define property boundaries so that it can be sold, built on, or used for other purposes.
- Stake out where a concrete or earthen structure will be placed near a waterway to control flooding.
- Plan the construction of new buildings and the destruction of old ones.
Real World Civil Engineering Projects
Floating Fire Station
San Francisco’s new floating fire station is designed to withstand earthquakes, storms and sea level rise while remaining fully operational. It is home to the city’s fire boats and houses a command center; repair, maintenance, and fabrication facilities for the fireboats; and residential areas for firefighters on duty.
The cutter wheel of “Big Bertha,” one of the world’s largest tunnel boring machines, is lowered into place. Used for underground highway, transit, and water supply and discharge tunnels, these machines drill and place the tunnel entirely below the surface, allowing city life above to continue undisturbed.
1. US Bureau of Labor Statistics
2. American Society of Civil Engineers