Agriculture & Biosystems
Mining & Metallurgical
As a computer scientist, you might develop cutting-edge music software, come up with a better system to text your friends, or invent a new hand-held device. But looking beyond personal computers, did you realize that computer scientists are vitally important in almost every area you can think of? In a hospital, for example, computers track patient records, control X-ray and MRI machines, and offer surgeons visual maps of the operations they are performing. Becoming a computer scientist offers you an enormous range of possibilities, from developing software for managing an air traffic control tower to producing animation for the movie industry.
Number of jobs in 2020
Expected job growth over 10 years
Jobs and education
- Create software that detects brain tumors earlier
- Design a feather-light laptop
- Develop user-friendly blogging software
- Oversee the computer network for a telecommunications company
- Predict the strength of earthquakes through computer simulation
- Perform routine maintenance, backup files, and troubleshoot computer and network problems for large multinational corporations or small not-for-profit and everything in between.
- Respond to phone calls, emails, or chats answering questions from consumers and provide solutions to routine problems as a help desk technician.
Coding Without Computers
Program a human robot to build a pyramid of cups in as few steps as possible.
1. US Bureau of Labor Statistics